Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A future style for a future parent

I am not a mother, but I now hope to be one. Therefore, I am unsure on where this post will stand among the seasoned mothers who have bared the cracked nipples, the sleepless nights, the vomit and shit that follows a nine pounder.

But when it comes to parenting I can tell you this much:

I hope that my child says "please" and "thank you" because I taught him to, and because his parents say it to each other.

I hope that my kid loves to laugh, play music, watch old movies.

I hope that my kid loves to read. I hope they hide in a corner with a book larger than them, losing themselves in a sea of printed pages.

I hope that my kid is as cool as my nephews, and as awesome as my god-daughter.

I hope that this kid loves their father as much as I do, admires the man that I fell in love with, and I hope to hear them say, "my mom picked a great dad".

I hope that my future child is more creative than I, envisioning colors and scenes far beyond their imagination.

I hope that my child loves to love, showers us with hugs and loves to be kissed.

I hope that my kid loves what they do in life (unless he is a pedophile... that's a no go...). I hope that they excel in whatever it is that they do. And I don't  mean excel as in a millionaire, but in a personal goal, that they take pride in their position in this life.

I hope that when I reprimand my child, that they will remember that in life there are consequences to our actions, and that I do this because I love them and it is my job to guide them.

I hope that my kid is never bullied, and if they are, that I have done all that I can to reinforce the beauty inside of them. I hope that the belittling words they hear from others will only empower them to become greater and have more compassion for those sad individuals.



I hope that I don't fail them.

6 comments:

  1. Other than the career and the bullying, these are easy. If you have a passion for music, movies, reading, etc. and you share it with your kids, they'll pick it up. My boy is definitely a mini-me and mini-my-husband. For now, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I was told that children emulate those around them. I like to think that I picked an awesome future baby daddy, and there is no denying the amount of awesomeness that I constantly exude. I am banking on the fact that we are not shitty person, therefore my mini flesh will not be a shitty person...crossing those fingers...and legs for now!

      Delete
    2. Beware, though, they'll find shitty traits you never even noticed you had, and emulate those, too. At least once a week, I'm all, "Where did he pick THAT up?" And my husband has to break the news to me.

      Delete
    3. I wish that wasn't true....

      So True!

      Delete
  2. I still hope my kid is never bullied - I really don't know what I'd do to the offending party & their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a situation a while back that involved my god-daughter getting picked on by some overweight parasite at school. She begged me to yell at the kid. And for as much as I wanted to stick my foot in that kids cheetoh crusted mouth, I knew that this was something I had to stay out of. The best I could do was make sure that her mom was aware as well as the teachers.

    ReplyDelete