Thursday, August 1, 2013

TT: Yankees vs. Confederates

For those of you unaware...I am a big fan of "Gone with the Wind". Film and Book. My three year old little mind basques in the southern charm and beauty of hoop skirt and pantalet. Now, this movie might be set in the Civil War, but it certainly does not share the true atrocities, or the content for which the United States had decided to turn on each other. To me, and maybe to many, but mostly me, this film was about a southern way of life completely destroyed by those "damn dirty yanks", the scoundrels of the north whose sole purpose was to uproot a tranquil, quiet world. It was not until I wandered in to the history section of Empire Library that I learned about whipping posts and middle passage. As I got older, I felt guilty for rooting for the Confederates. After all, the dashing Clark Gable/Rhett Butler (same man) enlisted at the end of the war, but fought for the South none the less. So naturally I was torn. How I could I choose between the dashing men of the South but still accept the atrocities of the "S" word. Eeeek. So I did what I do as always. I made a list of why Confederates suck, and why Yankees suck.

Enjoy.

Confederates:
1. It's the South.
2. Slavery.
3. The cute Southern accent, its not so cute anymore.
4. They threw a monster hissy fit because they didn't get their way, and they fucking seceded. Wah.
5. The men don't actually look like Leslie Hamilton/Ashley Wilkes and Clark Gable/Rhett Butler, not at all.
6. Gone with the Wind was fiction, Margaret Mitchell lied to us ALL!
7. Jefferson Davis. End point.



Yankees:
1. They tried to kill Leslie Hamilton/Ashley Wilkes and Clark Gable/Rhett Butler.
2. They tried to destroy that beautiful Southern way of life, a world of cavaliers, gone with the wind. 
3. They raped and pillaged many of the unmanned homes of the South...those women were not the enemy. Well, I guess they were, sort of, but still. There was no uniform on them.
4. Lincoln was a liar whose last resort was the Emancipation Proclamation. He really did not care if slaves were free. He wasn't a fan of slavery, but rather, at best, ambivalent.

If I was asked which side was the better side, what little semblance of humanity I have left inside of me would always say the North. Slavery was deplorable, an institution that remains alive in the world today. It's disgusting and barbaric.

On a lighter note, I always wanted to be the Mexican Scarlett O'Hara.


6 comments:

  1. Don't forget the fact that if you go down there today, half of them think the war is still on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. That is right! Have you ever attended a recreation? It's pretty gnarly.

      Delete
  2. I am from the north so I pick them. Most of us Yankees have gotten over it, there are still quite a few southerners that are a little upset about it. That always strikes me as weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say its one of those folklore stories you continue to tell the kids, the whole "Never forget" syndrome. Its a little sad, borderline funny. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. I can't remember when I first saw GWTW, but I've seen it many times and read the book. I've never thought it was about the southern way of life - though the first hour certainly focuses on barbeques and parties. I always focused the strength in Scarlett O'Hara and admired her fortitude to do what needed to be done in order to preserve her little piece of the world she lived in. She lost her father, her country was torn in two, her sister hated her for taking her beau(s), and she stood alone in her quest to save her home and her family.
    I just hate that she was a twit over that Leslie - what a waste! But I guess that's a comment on the human condition of always wanting what we can't have, and realizing just a bit too late we really need what we already have.

    ReplyDelete